Our latest feast

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Poached Chicken, Lime and Coriander Sandwich/Baguette

I will be the first to put my hand up and say that I am NOT a huge lover of sandwiches. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy a nice fresh sandwich but detest prewrapped sandwiches made first thing in the morning only to be eaten at noon. Often pre-made sandwiches are either soggy or dry but the lunch time which in my opinion is a total turnoff!! I make my children's sandwiches fresh every morning but only use fillings that will remain the same as when I pack them and the kids have a lunchbox with a freezy pack (ice block) in them to keep the sandwiches, drink, fruit etc as fresh as possible.

This however is more about the filling rather than the actual sandwich. The original recipe calls for a baguette but I have found that the filling actually suits any bread type. I have made this sandwich, today, with German Grain Bread which I made in my breadmaker.

Poached chicken and coriander sounds quite exotic and complicated. The combination of the coriander, spring onions, lime juice and mayonnaise is exciting to say the least. I will tell you right now that the flavour is amazing and very easy to make. I promise you will definately not be disappointed!

Now as I mentioned I don't like prepacked sandwiches and this sandwich is no exception. The chicken mixture goes into a small container and I make the sandwich/baguette up when it's lunchtime. I am sure that this would definitely turn into a soggy sandwich if premade.


Poached Chicken, Lime and Coriander Sandwich/Baguette
(recipe adapted from WW Simply Swap 2007)

Serves: 1
Points per serve: 4.5

140 gram chicken fillet
1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
1/2 teaspoon crushed ginger
2 tablespoons low fat mayonnaise
1 spring onion, finely sliced
1 teaspoon finely grated lime rind
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 slices bread or 15cm long baquette or French stick

Half fill a deep frying pan or saucepan with cold water. Bring to simmer over a medium-low heat. Add chicken, garlic and ginger, poach for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through. Drain, discarding liquid. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Shred chicken.

Combine the mayonnaise, spring onion, lime rind and juice, shredded chicken and coriander in a bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Top one slice of bread with chicken mixture and cover with over slice of bread. Alternatively if you are using a baguette/French stick, cut open lengthwise and fill with the chicken mixture.

1 comment:

Donna-FFW said...

Jo- This sandwich looks fantastic. I love the cilantro and lime combo with the chicken. Must have been so delicious!