Our latest feast

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Savoury Beef Mince with Pasta

Dinner was minced beef last night... but as per usual I was looking for something easy but more importantly full of flavour. I was having a look at Pam's blog, For The Love of Cooking, and saw her recipe for Italian Goulash which not only looked magnificent but reminded me of a staple dish my mam used to cook when I was growing up - Savoury Mince.

I remember as a child having this for dinner when my dad was away at work, usually it was served on buttered toast or just as it was in a big bowl and had a taste I vaguely remember today. The sad thing is I have never cooked it for my kids. I added pasta to my version so it was filling and served it with a crusty french stick.

Now here is the twist I have no idea how my mam made her version nor can I say it tasted the same but I will say watching my kids facing devour this one dish dinner did take me back to my childhood... in fact they have already requested it again TONIGHT. Thankfully we did have leftovers which I was planning to freeze in small portions and take for my lunch.. well that was my plan!


Savoury Beef Mince with Pasta

Serves: 6
Points per serve: 9

cooking spray
750 grams lean beef mince
1 onion, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
2 teaspoons crushed garlic
1 red capsicum, diced
1 large zucchini, grated
2 cups of water
2 teaspoons beef stock powder
800 grams diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chilli powder or to taste
2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
salt
freshly ground black pepper
250 grams pasta of your choice
125 gram can corn kernals, drained
1/2 cup frozen green peas

Spray a large frying pan with cooking spray and add mince, onions and garlic. Cook over a high heat for 5 - 8 minutes or until beef is browned, breaking up beef lumps as you stir.

Add capsicum and zucchini, mix well and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.

Combine water and stock powder. Add to pan along with tomatoes, parsley, oregano, chilli powder, Worchestershire, barbecue and soy sauces. Stir well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and reduce heat to medium low allowing to simmer for 1 hour or until sauce has thickened. Stir occasionally.

Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to boil and cook pasta according to packet directions. Drain and set aside.

Once mince mixture has cooked for at least an hour and thickened, add corn and peas. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes or until peas are cooked.

Add pasta and stir to combine.

Serve with crusty bread and parmesan cheese, if desired, allowing extra points for both.


(click here for a printable version of this recipe)

No comments: