Our latest feast

Monday, January 19, 2015

Classic Roast Chicken with Sage and Onion Stuffing

I spent last week away with work - not something that I do now with my new job role but nice to do something again that I have realised that I really did enjoy doing. After 7 months now working in the Technical division at work, which I find challenging and my reward is paid in knowledge, training is my real passion! Being away again, training and working with other people, has cemented that I wish to return to the training world and have decided that I will do so at my next given opportunity.
While away, I managed to eat well, in fact I always seem to eat well!!  Bendigo has some wonderful restaurants - it's a city filled with a diverse range of food offerings basically a Foodies Paradise.  I enjoyed Italian, Spanish, Mexican and Indian in my week long stay but there was so much more I could have eaten but I did have to work during my stay.  LOL!!
Coming home is always wonderful but by this time I am usually craving something "plain Jane" and comforting - you know that homely meal that just hits the spot.  Roast chicken sprung to mind so that's what we cooked.
I love the smell of a roast chicken especially when it's been filled with stuffing - Sage and Onion is my favourite.  The aroma fills the house and I can say this as chicken is the only roast that I actually cook in the oven.  All of our other roasts are done in the weber.
Crispy skinned, moist and juicy chicken meat served with Sage and Onion Stuffing - perfect.  Accompanied by roasted and steamed vegetables the taste buds danced once again with every mouthful. 


Classic Roast Chicken with Sage and Onion Stuffing

Serves: 8
ProPoints per serve: 10

1.6 kilogram whole chicken
6 slices wholegrain bread
2 onions, peeled and finely diced
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons dried sage leaves
1 egg white, lightly beaten
salt
extra fresh ground black pepper for seasoning
1/2 cup water



Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

Prepare a baking tray with a cooking rack inside.

Clean chicken in cold water, removing any additional skin/fat and inners.  Remove from water and drain.  Place on workbench and pat chicken skin dry using paper towel also wipe out chicken cavity of any extra water. 

Using a food processer make breadcrumbs using the bread.  Pour into large bowl.  Add onion, pepper and sage.  Mix to combine.  Add egg and mix to bind together.

Place stuffing mixture into cavity of chicken.  Pushing in firmly to ensure it stays put.  Tie legs together if you wish with cooking string.

Season the outside of the whole chicken with salt and pepper.

Place chicken on the cooking rack in the baking dish.   Put water in bottom of baking tray.  Cook in the oven for 1 hour or until cooked to your liking and juices run clear.

Serve with your favourite vegetables and gravy if desired.


No comments: