Our latest feast

Monday, September 18, 2017

Creamy Chicken and Bacon Spaghetti Boscaiola

Pasta I think is one of the Universal words which translates instantly to "comfort food" and never ceases to please anyone in any given mood or frame of mind.  No matter who you are, where you come from and what your nationality I can honestly say that I have never ever met anyone that does not like pasta.
 
In our house, it goes without saying that it is a favourite - whether it's served with a thick meat sauce or a creamier delicate sauce, no matter what shape or size it comes in, if it's layers upon layers, etc.  I could go on but which ever way it's served here its always a hit.  Tonight was no exception. 
 
I have actually been unwell for a wee bit with this dreaded flu that is sweeping Australia.  Many people are in hospital and some have actually lost their lives due to the deadly strain.  Thankfully I was administered some very strong antibiotics, steroids and some liquid codeine as soon as I felt bad however I was bed ridden for nearly four days.  I am still battling a horrid cough, but glad to say I feel there is an end to it coming closer.  While I am still weak and aching I actually returned to work today (thankfully as being bed ridden was doing my head in) and for the first time since last Thursday I cooked dinner.  Anyways enough about me. 
 
Tonight's dinner, Creamy Chicken and Bacon Spaghetti Boscaiola is based on one of our family favourites, Penne Boscaiola.  It is definitely the perfect comfort meal – creamy, jam packed with vegetables, chicken and bacon laced with hint of cheesy sweet chilli…. mmmmm!!  It's not a traditional Italian style pasta using Asian sweet chilli sauce but it works and I would urge you to try it. 

A perfect week night wonder as it’s very easy and quick to prepare and cook not to mention devoured almost instantly.

 
Creamy Chicken and Bacon Spaghetti Boscaiola
(Recipe adapted from WW Heavenly D’Lites Cookbook)

Serves: 6
 
375 grams spaghetti
cooking spray
1 brown onion, finely chopped
3 teaspoons crushed garlic
2 chicken fillets, fat trimmed and thinly sliced
150 grams middle bacon, fat trimmed
1 red capsicum, sliced
150 grams button mushrooms, sliced
375 ml can Carnation Light and Creamy Evaporated Skim Milk
 3 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
150 grams baby spinach leaves
salt
freshly ground black pepper
80 grams finely grated parmesan cheese

Cook pasta in pan of boiling water following packet instructions until just tender.  Drain.

Coat a large frying pan with cooking spray.  Cook the chicken, stirring, until browned. Remove to a plate lined with absorbent paper.

In the same pan cook the onions, garlic and bacon until onion is soft.  Return chicken to the pan. 

Add capsicum and mushroom and cook for a further 2 - 3 minutes until capsicum begins to soften. 

Add the milk and chilli sauce to the pan.  Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. 

Stir through the pasta, spinach and half the parmesan cheese until mix through well and spinach just wilted.

Serve with remaining parmesan cheese.

 

No comments: