Our latest feast

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Curried Sausages

I have to admit I don't cook sausages very often. It is not that we don't like sausages, all of us love them, prehaps a little too much. The reason that they are not regularly on our menu is mainly due to the fact that normal sausages are so high in fat they are pretty much a no-no when it comes to dieting. Well that was until recently!

The Peppercorn Food Company have released a range of gluten free, extra lean sausages and I have to say I really like them. Not only are they very low in saturated fat and get the tick from the National Heart Foundation, but they actually taste good too. They have several different flavours available and although they are a little on the pricey side for sausages - you only get what you pay for right?

Curried sausages have to be a classic home style meal, one that gives comfort no matter when you eat them, either served with mashed potato or steamed rice. It is one of those meals your grandma used to make and are certainly one of those recipes that you expect to have handed down through the generations. I do not have a handme down recipe, infact I cannot recall my grandma cooking them nor my mam. However I saw this in a recent Weight Watchers magazine so I just had to try it.

In the beginning I was kind of concerned with using a combination of curry powder and dijon mustard as the sauce flavouring but it worked well. The apple gave the dish a hint of sweetness but didn't make it overpoweringly sweet and more importantly it got the thumbs up from all of us.


Curried Sausages
(recipe sourced from: WW Magazine June 2009)

Serves: 4
Points per serve: 6.0

500 grams lean sausages
cooking spray
1 medium brown onion, thinly sliced
1 medium green apple, peeled, cored and grated
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 teaspoons mild curry powder
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
2 cups chicken stock
1 medium green capsicum, seeded and thinly sliced
1 medium red capsicum, seeded and thinly sliced
2 cups cooked white rice, to serve

Place sausages in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain.

Spray a non stick frying pan and heat over high heat. Add sausages and cook for 3 - 4 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate and slice in half or quarters diagonally.

Add onion and apple to the pan, cook for 2 minutes or until the onion has softenend. Add flour, curry powder and mustard. Stir to mix. Gradually add stock and bring to the boil. Add sausages and capsicums. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes or until sauce thickens. Serve with 1/2 cup rice each.


Stats for Peppercorn Food Company Extra Lean Beef Sausages
500g = 7 sausages (72g per serve), Each serve: Energy: 448kJ Protein 9.6g Fat, total: 5.8g Fat, saturated: 2.2g Carbohydrate: 4.0g Sugars: 0.9g Sodium: 324mg Iron: 1.1mg

5 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

What a delicious combination. I love sausage and peppers never thought to use a curry sauce..yum!!

Chef E said...

Okay, I am ready to get back to my NJ Indian food spices, and will be making this!

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge said...

oh cool, healthy sausages. I too have the same problem. The fat content in them makes my head spin. I'll have to check them out and give this recipe a go

Unknown said...

I do hope you will post your crock pot recipes to Crock Pot Wednesday at diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com. Mister Linky is up and ready for you now. Thanks for posting.

Unknown said...

Delicious and was super easy to make great recipe!