Our latest feast

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Peri Peri Chicken

Watch out Nando's - we now have our own recipe for Peri Peri and it was delish! It wasn't as fiery as what I was expecting but it would only take some adjustment in the spices to give it the kick I was looking for but for a first attempt at Peri Peri made from scratch it was really nice. So nice I think the kids would eat it with no complaints!!

Although tonight this was cooked in the oven, it would make an idea bbq meal and would look very exotic with the chargrilled markings. This marinade would suit other meats especially kebabs. For a more intense flavour allow meat to marinate for longer especially overnight. I decided to use chicken maryland tonight, skin removed, but I think I will use the thigh fillets next time or even just chicken pieces.


Peri Peri Chicken

Serves: 4
Points per serve: 7.5

2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 fresh small red Thai chillies, chopped finely
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons sea salt
4 chicken maryland pieces, skin removed

Preheat oven to 200 deg Celcius.

Combine lemon juice, olive oil, chilli, sugar, paprika, garlic, rosemary and salt in a large bowl.

Make deep diagonal cuts in the chicken pieces and rub spice mixture all over chicken. Allow to stand for 10 minutes, longer if time permits.

Place chicken on a foiled lined oven tray and bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

1 comment:

Chef E said...

I just ate at my first Portuguese restaurant by the name of Piri Piri and really enjoyed it, and I think I would like to make this as well!