Our latest feast

Friday, August 13, 2010

Mushy Peas

Ok I am going to introduce you to a family favourite not only in our house but to all off our family - both sides! When I say both sides I mean Noel's side and my side. Both coming from British backgrounds - Noel English and me Welsh we have both grown up eating Mushy Peas.

Unfortunately like most foods everyone cooks recipes differently and that was the case when both families get together. One mother cooks them one way and the other a different way. I have had to come to a happy compromise and it cook them somewhat middle of the road when it comes to both individual cooking styles because as you can imagine they are both right!!

I will say however the Welsh have an ironic name for this staple side dish - "Fluffing Peas". To many they do have an adverse reaction the day after eating but even that doesn't put some of us die hard Mushy Pea lovers from eating them.

Mushy Peas

Serves: 12 as a side dish
Points per serve: 2


500 grams blue peas
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teapsoon sugar
ground white pepper to taste

Soak peas overnight in a large bowl of cold water and 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda.

Drain and rinse thoroughly.

Place peas in a large saucepan with remaining bicarbonate of soda, salt and sugar. Fill saucepan with water enough to cover the peas by approximately 2 cms.


Bring to the boil and then reduce heat to the lowest possible. Allow peas to cook slowly for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, skimming pea skins as they rise to the top.

Once cooked, drain over a large bowl. Once drained, return to saucepan. Add enough juices for the texture of the peas you desire. Season with white pepper to taste.

(click here for a printable version of this recipe)

3 comments:

My Restaurants Melbourne said...

Mushy peas make a great side to almost anything. and it brings colour to the plate too. I didnt' know it was so big to the british

JMay said...

So I think I just found my new fav. food blog to get recipes :-)

xo!

andy said...

Where can I find blue peas? And what juices do you add?