Our latest feast

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Spiced Beans with Eggs

Today I really wanted something totally different for breakfast and considering the time was approaching brunch, I knew I needed to eat something that would satisfy me for both breakfast and lunch. I did however fancy eggs but wasn't excited by egg and bacon, nor by poached or scrambled eggs although I did entertain the idea of an omelette for a minute or so.

I remembered a recipe that I had read somewhere, although I don't recall precisely where. The more I thought about it I knew that I had read many versions of this recipe it had just never appealed to me to cook it previously. It was eggs that were poached in a tomato bean style casserole base - a one pot wonder. Thinking more about this dish I decided to recreate it based on not only what I remembered but what flavours I fancied.

The result was very enjoyable and must admit filling. We all enjoyed this different style of dish even mam. The tomato bean style casserole I filled with vegetables had a hint of spice and actually complimented the softly poaced eggs.

A fine way to start the day, in my books anyway.



Spiced Beans with Eggs
Serves: 6
ProPoints per serve: 7

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 brown onion, finely diced
1/2 red capsicum, finely diced
1/2 green capsicum, finely diced
100 grams button mushrooms, quartered
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
440 gram tin diced tomatoes in juice
440 gram tin baked beans
1 teaspoon dried oregano
salt
freshly ground black pepper
6 eggs
6 slice wholegrain/multigrain bread
1 spring onion, green section only, finely sliced

Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and capsicum, cook stirring for 3 - 4 minutes or until softened slightly. Add mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes. Mix through the paprika and garlic.

Add the tinned tomatoes and baked beans and cook for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Add oregano and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Using a large spoon make a well in the bean mixture and crack in one egg. Continue with remaining eggs. Cover and cook for 4 - 6 minutes or until eggs are cooked to your liking.

Meanwhile toast the bread.

When eggs are cooked, remove from heat and sprinkle with spring onion. Serve immediately with toast.


(click here for printable version of recipe)

3 comments:

Tv Food and Drink said...

That looks awesome. I hope you had plenty of people to share it with and to be dutifully impressed with the presentation! Gary

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a wonderful dish. You have plated it beautifully as well. I am new to your blog and have been browsing some of your earlier entries. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I'll be back. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

James said...

Oh this looks delicious! I really like this recipe and the final result looks amazing.