Our latest feast

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Vegetarian Noodles

After a long and unwanted break from sharing out culinary adventures, I want to assure you and myself that I have not forgotten or given up on my beloved blog. A break, which has seen me do very little cooking during this time due to work commitments having me live in a hotel room for 4 out of the 5 weeknights and I must also add this place wasn’t local to my home.

But last weekend we did manage to cook and I have to say that I enjoyed every minute. It is amazing how you miss do something that you find a chore to do day in day out especially when confined to a small hotel room that only has a kettle and a toaster – no real cooking facilities. Even a microwave would be good while I am away.

However hopefully over the next few weeks I will also be able to sneak in a few more cooking experiences here and there and keep A Dash Of Flavour progressing as I still have at least another two weeks away from home.

Enough waffling let's get down to some cooking. I must say noodles are one of my secret favourite dishes, a favourite that I often crave. So it is no surprise that I really enjoyed cooking and eating these especially teamed with Coriander and Lemongrass Fish.




Vegetarian Noodles

Serves: 4
ProPoints per serve: 5

440 grams hokkien noodles
1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
1 tablespoon kecap manis
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 cm piece of ginger, grated
1 onion, sliced
1 carrot, julienned
1 red capsicum julienned
200 grams button mushrooms, sliced
2 baby bok choy, roughly chopped
100 grams bean sprouts
1/4 cup fresh coriander, chopped



Fill a large bowl with hot water and soak noodles as per packet directions. Drain and set aside.

In a small jug mix together sweet chilli sauce, kecap manis, soy sauce and water.

Heat oil in a large wok or frying pan over high heat. Add garlic, ginger, onion and carrots tossing until onion starts to soften - add a little water if vegetables start to burn. Add capsicum and mushrooms. Stir fry for 3 - 4 minutes.

Add combined sauce and stir through. Add noodles and bok choy tossing to combine.
Stir through bean sprouts and corinader. Serve immediately.

(click here for a printable version of this recipe)

1 comment:

Janice said...

That looks really tasty.