Our latest feast

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Maple Glazed Pork Chops

Tonight I wanted to try something that I have never served to my family... maple syrup with meat. I have read quite a few recipes using maple syrup and I have been eyeing off the maple syrup bottle that has been sitting in our cupboard just waiting to be used. Let's face it there are obviously more uses for maple syrup than putting on pancakes, right?

One of the recipes that caught my attention during my search was Pork Tenderloin with Maple Glaze, this can be found over at For The Love of Cooking. Pam's blog is magnificent, reading her blog make you hungry and her photo's just make you want to lick the computer screen! Needless to say I have adapted her recipe as I only had pork cutlets.

The result was a meal full of flavour and enjoyed by all. It wasn't too sweet considering the use of maple syrup nor was it overpowering. Infact the balance between the maple syrup, vinegar and dijon mustard was perfect.
Maple Glazed Pork Cutlets

Serves: 4
Points per serve: 5

5 tablespoons pure maple syrup
5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 pork cutlets (200g each), fat trimmed
1 tsp dried sage
sea salt
freshly cracked pepper, to taste
cooking spray

In a small bowl whisk together maple syrup, 3 tablespoons of the vinegar and Dijon mustard. Set aside.

Rub the pork cutlets with the dried sage, sea salt and pepper.

Heat olive oil in large frying pan over medium high heat. Add the pork cutlets and cook until brown on both sides, turning once, about 3-4 minutes each side. Transfer cutlets to a plate, cover with foil to keep warm.

Deglaze the same frying pan by adding the remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat to medium then add the maple syrup mixture and cook until sauce thickens a bit, about 2-3 minutes.

Return pork and juices, if any, to the frying pan and coat the meat with the glaze. Season glaze to taste with salt and pepper if desired. Serve with glaze spooned over the cutlets.

(click here for a printable version of this recipe)

2 comments:

Pam said...

Nice! Your chops look really delicious. I am so glad you liked the recipe as much as we did. Thanks for the shout out and link...I really appreciate it.

Chef E said...

Yummmmmy! I just made lamb chops, but this will have to be next on my list! Beautiful plate my dear...