Our latest feast

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Roast Pumpkin, Beetroot and Bocconcini Salad with Guinness Dressing

We had been requested to bring a salad as our contribution to Erica's 30th birthday. I knew exactly which salad everyone means when they say "Can you please bring a salad Jo?" Everyone adores the Crunchy Asian Salad that we make.

But I not only fancied something different, I had half a pumpkin that needed using. So roasting that was my first thought but honestly you cannot take a plate of cold roast pumpkin somewhere. Teamed with a tin of baby beetroots, some spinach and creamy bocconcini this amazing salad was created, I have no idea if anyone has done this combination before.

Next I needed a dressing, I made a vinegarette but it was oh so wrong. Noel suggested a few ingredients and voila we had a dressing, which included using Guiness!

Not only did I have a new salad but I had also just created an entry into the Royal Foodie Joust held by Jen at the Left Over Queen!! OMG here I was thinking that I was going to sit another month out!! Thanks Noel ~ MWAH! I love you....



Roast Pumpkin, Beetroot and Bocconcini Salad with Guinness Dressing

Serves: 12
Points per serve: 2.5


1/2 medium jap pumpkin, peeled and cut into 3 cm chunks (approx 800 grams flesh)
cooking spray
1 tablespoon brown sugar
pinch salt
pinch finely ground white pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1/2 cup Guinness
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
200 grams baby spinach leaves
1 400 gram tin whole baby beetroots, drained and halved
1 220g packet bocconcini, drained and quartered

Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celcius.

Line a baking tray with baking paper and spray with cooking spray. Place pumpkin on tray in a single layer. In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, salt, pepper and cumin. Sprinkle half over the pumpkin. Cook in oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and turn. Sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture and continue to cook for a further 20 - 30 minutes or until pumpkin is tender and sugar caramalised. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.

In a small jug combine honey, mustard, Guinness and olive oil. Whisk all ingredients together until combined and smooth. Season to taste with black pepper.

In a large flat casserole dish or serving dish place the spinach leaves all over the bottom. Top with roasted pumpkin. Scatter the beetroot and bocconcini over the top.

Just before serving drizzle dressing over the whole salad.


(click here for a printable version of this recipe)

3 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

This salad looks totally awesome Jo! I can see why you are always asked to bring a salad! :)

I am so glad to see you in the Joust! Thanks for a great entry!

Anonymous said...

This looks marvelous and ever so intriguing! Thanks for sharing!

FOODalogue said...

I could not get inspired by the ingredients this month, but I love what you did.