Our latest feast

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Mince Pies

I have to apologize for neglect as I have just been caught up in the Festive Season and all it's happenings. I did start this post before the jolly man came to visit but honestly haven't had a chance to sit down at the computer until now. Needless to say I am hoping that your Christmas definitely was jolly and now I am going to play catch up with things that we have cooked.

I am not going to boast that this is one of my christmas delights although I wish I could! These lovely Christmas Mince Pies were made by my Mam. This recipe for the pastry especially is one that she has been making for years and these mince pies definitely get requested every year by family and friends. The fact that the filling is just shop bought mince mixture doesn't even get noticed.


Mince Pies
(recipe courtesy of my Mam)
makes 4 dozen
points per serve: 2 (made with regular butter)
points per serve: 1.5 (made with reduced fat butter)


2 1/4 cups plain flour
3/4 cup Self Raising flour.
pinch salt
185 grams butter or Ultra Light Spreadable (70% reduced fat)
1 cup icing sugar
2 egg yolks
a few drops of vanilla
approx. 1/4 cup water
large jar of Robertsons Fruit Mince
icing sugar, for dusting

In a large bowl mix flour, salt and butter until crumbly and resembling breadcrumbs. Add sifted icing sugar, mixing through. Add egg yolks, vanilla and enough water to mix to a smooth dough.

Knead lightly & chill one hour before use.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

Once chilled roll out half of the pastry on a flour board and using a 2 1/2 inch pastry cutter, cut out 48 rounds for the pie bottom. Place into greased rounded patty pans and fill with fruit mince.
Roll out remainder of pastry and cut into 48 rounds using a 2 inch pastry cutter. Place on top of mince filled pastry bottoms. Glaze with water and cook for 20 - 25 minutes or until tops are golden.

Remove from oven and allow to cool. Dust with icing sugar.

(click here for a printable version of this recipe)

1 comment:

Chef E said...

These look wonderful, and funny how a group of us were just talking about these and how our grandmothers made them!