Our latest feast

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Spinach and Carrot Salad (Alex's Salad)

As it's the Australian Summer here at the moment, salads are plentiful - for lunches, for dinners, as a side dish at a picnic or a BBQ.  But I have to admit the good old garden salad gets a little boring after a while.  The other challenge besides making salad exciting is making it kid friendly.  Alexandria is one of my hardest salad critics.
 
So I put my creative hat on and thought to myself what raw vegetables does Alexandria eat and how could I make them into a salad.  So I opened the fridge door and just started layering.
 
First baby spinach, grated carrot, fresh pomegranate seeds and finely shredded fresh mint leaves - voila a salad fit for Princess Alexandria and everyone else of course.  This flavours went well together, each complimenting the other not to mention it was very healthy.  The bonus it was a 0 ProPoint salad.
 
Our dinner was Rosemary, Lemon and Seeded Mustard Lamb Chops, which were perfectly barbecued by Noel I have to say, Parmesan and Thyme Roasted Potatoes and this salad filled us all up nicely.

 
Spinach and Carrot Salad (Alex's Salad)
 
Serves: 4
ProPoints per serve: 0
 
2 cups baby spinach
2 medium carrots, grated
1/2 fresh pomegranate, seeded
1/4 cup finely shredded fresh mint

Place spinach in a bowl.  Next layer the carrot on top of the spinach.  Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and then the mint.

Serve.

(click here for a printable version of this recipe)

No comments: