Our latest feast

Monday, October 12, 2009

Parmesan Crusted Rockling

Well it was a huge step for the Murray family tonight on a couple of levels... please don't be too suprised but even with all of our love of cooking we really do struggle when it comes to eating fish....

Fish in our house is normally flake (shark) due to it's mild taste and smell and it generally comes battered, either with tempura or beer batter. But with me currently on my weight loss journey battered just doesn't fit into the equation.

Needless to say neither did flake as I am over it and fancied some other fish. At the market yesterday we purchased (and Noel did agree) Rockling fillets. A larger fillet but yet still mild although quite smelly. Without ruining the flavour of what was described as the "chicken of the sea" by the fishmonger I definitely didn't want to overkill the way it was cooked.

And I didn't.... this dish was great. I can actually see Rockling becoming a regular visitor to our plates.....


Parmesan Crusted Rockling


Serves: 4
Points per serve: 5

1 slice of multigrain bread
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 thick Rockling fillets (200 grams each) or other firm white fish of your choice
olive oil cooking spray

Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.

Using a food processor, reduce slice of bread to breadcrumbs. Combine breadcrumbs, parsely, parmesan, lemon rind, salt and pepper in a bowl Stir to combine. Drizzle mixture with oil. Stir until breadcrumbs are coated in oil.

Cover a baking tray with foil or baking paper. Place fish fillets in a single layer on tray. Press breadcrumb mixture onto flesh shide of fish fillet to form an even topping. Spray with cooking spray.

Bake for 15 minutes or until crubms are light golden and fish is cooked through.


Accompaning the Parmesan Crusted Rockling was Fried Potatoes with Sundried Tomatoes.

(click here for a printable version of this recipe)

2 comments:

Arlene Delloro said...

This sounds like a post I wrote a few weeks ago. I am not a fish eater either. I've made it my mission to eat fish once a week, and that's not counting shellfish, which I do like. I've never heard of rockling, but I am all about fish that don't smell like fish, LOL. The topping looks fabulous. As soon as I finish up my flounder filets, I'm going to try tilapia or orange roughy, the latter which is finally available in my supermarket. Don't you love how low points fish is, though?

Country Mum said...

I often use a similar recipe and recommend you try Dory fillets. Appreciate being included in your blogroll!