Our latest feast

Friday, June 25, 2010

Mediterranean Lamb Pizza

It's been a while since we had home made pizzas and even though we love making our own to suit our flavours as I really wanted to make something different. It is really funny how the minute one of us suggest pizzas for dinner I start trying to remember different combinations of flavours/styles that I have seen on menus, in magazines, cookbooks etc.

I really enjoy a clean tasting pizza where you can taste the individual flavours. This one perfectly fit the bill from the basil pesto base to the smooth creamy ricotta. I was really happy with the outcome and will definitely be cooking this again.


Mediterranean Lamb Pizza

Serves: 4
Points per serve:5


cooking spray
1 large red capsicum, quartered, deseeded
150 grams lean lamb strips
1 large lebanese bread (100g)
1 tablespoon basil pesto
30 grams low fat grated mozzarella
1 large zucchini, peeled into thin ribbons
1/2 red onion, sliced
80 grams low-fat ricotta, crumbled
1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
Fresh basil leaves, to serve

Preheat oven to 200°C. Preheat grill on high. Spray a large baking tray with cooking spray to lightly grease. Place the capsicum, skin-side up, on the prepared tray. Cook under grill for 5 minutes or until charred and blistered. Transfer the capsicum to a sealable plastic bag and set aside for 5 minutes (this helps lift the skin). Peel the skin from the capsicum and cut the flesh into thin strips.

Meanwhile, spray a frying pan lightly with olive oil spray. Heat over high heat. Season the lamb with salt and pepper. Add to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes for medium or until browned. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil. Set aside for 3 minutes to rest.

Spread the bread with pesto. Sprinkle with the cheese. Top with the zucchini, capsicum, lamb, onion and ricotta.

Place the pizza on a pizza tray that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese melts and the base is crisp. Sprinkle with pine nuts and basil leaves to serve.

(click here for a printable version of this recipe)

4 comments:

Chef E said...

Now that is my kind of pizza! Great way to make pizza, so I am going to try it...

Kristen said...

That would be a pizza just for the grown ups in my house (and how glad I would be not to share!!). Looks great.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Jo, this is a great looking pizza. This is my first visit to your blog so I've spent some time reading your earlier posts to bring myself up to speed. I'm so glad I did.I love your recipes and the tone of your blog. I'll be back often. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Gabriela said...

This sounds amazing. very creative! You should enter it on Food52.com's contest this week for Basil.