Our latest feast

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Penne Boscaiola

Firstly my apologies… so much has happened to the House of Murray since March that have left us very time poor and sadly this has led to no new entries here. A quick overview – a job change for me at the same company (for the better) which now finds me based in one office with no travel at the moment, and of course time has been spent getting into a normal family routine – one where mam is now home every night. Needless to say it has been a big change for the four of us.  I also took two weeks holiday which gave me time to focus on my family and also had a quick camping trip to the incredible Sheepyard Flats (so serene and relaxing) over the Easter period.

As usual I have recipe posts banked up so I will try and get through these really quickly to tempt your tastebuds but in the meantime I will start with this one.......

This old family favourite has definitely gone under the radar as for some unknown reason I have managed to have never blogged it. I have blogged a variation but not the original recipe. Oh well I guess stranger things have happened.

Pasta, as well documented, is a comfort food in our house. If I ever ask the kids what they fancy for dinner I get the same answer time and time again … “PASTA”! 
Penne Boscaiola is the perfect comfort meal – creamy, jam packed with vegetables and bacon laced with hint of cheesy sweet chilli…. mmmmm Heaven in a bowl.  A perfect week night wonder as it’s very easy and quick to prepare and cook not to mention devoured almost instantly.


Penne Boscaiola
(Recipe adapted from WW Heavenly D’Lites Cookbook)

Serves: 6
ProPoints per serve: 11

375 grams penne pasta or GF penne pasta (or pasta of your choice)
cooking spray
1 brown onion, finely chopped
3 teaspoons crushed garlic
150 grams middle bacon, fat trimmed
1 red capsicum, sliced
150 grams button mushrooms, sliced
375 ml can Carnation Light and Creamy Evaporated Skim Milk
 3 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
150 grams baby spinach leaves
salt
freshly ground black pepper
80 grams finely grated parmesan cheese


Cook pasta in pan of boiling water following packet instructions until just tender.  Drain.

Coat a large frying pan with cooking spray.  Cook the onions, garlic and bacon until onion is soft.  Add capsicum and mushroom and cook for a further 2 - 3 minutes until capsicum begins to soften.

Add the milk and chilli sauce to the pan.  Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.  Stir through the pasta, spinach and half the parmesan cheese until mix through well and spinach just wilted.

Serve with remaining parmesan cheese.

(Click here for a printable version of this recipe)

(NOTE: 04/03/19 I updated this recipe as we now cook a wide variety of our meals as Gluten Free - no change to any other part of the recipe).

1 comment:

Catherine said...

This is a beautiful and comforting meal. Blessings, Catherine