Our latest feast

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

While I have always and will always maintain that I am not the "housewife" type but since being made redundant I have actually been enjoying my time at home.  It has given me some time to actually relax and I am really feeling better for it.  I have also been able to do some blogging and sharing of recipes with you all which gives me great pleasure.  Not to mention I have had time to catch up on other websites/blogs I follow and also find some new ones to read.
 
Today while looking for inspiration for some old bananas (I hate wasting food) I came across a website that I really like.  Averie Cooks is a vibrant and fresh site full of quick and easy recipes that are uncomplicated and easy to follow.  And that is exactly where I found this recipe for Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.
 
While I adapted the recipe the results was perfect.  Crispy yet soft cookies with a bold banana flavor married with scrumptious milk chocolate laced with a hint of cinnamon.  The rolled oats complimented the cookies giving them a homemade texture and that old fashioned appeal.  Do not use instant or quick-cook as they will not give the same outcome.
 
Don't overbake even if they don't look cooked.  The cookies firm up as they cool.  These will keep for about 1 week in a sealed container if they last that long! 
 
 
Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
(Recipe adapted from Averie Cooks)
 
Makes: approx. 20
 
1 large egg
2 small/medium or 1 extra-large ripe bananas
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
60 grams unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1/2 cinnamon, added to taste
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
200 grams milk chocolate chips

In a large mixing bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or an electric mixer) combine the egg, bananas, sugars, butter, vanilla, and beat on medium-high speed until well combined. 
 
Add the oats, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and beat on low speed until just combined, about 1 minute.  Add 3/4 of the chocolate chips, and beat on low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds.
 
Line a baking tray with baking paper and spray with cooking spray. 
 
Using a spoon or your hands form equal-sized mounds of dough approximately 1/4 cup in size.  Place on the baking tray spaced apart.  Strategically place a few chocolate chips on top of each cookie.
 
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
 
Bake for about 13 minutes (for very soft cookies, longer for more well-done cookies), or until edges have set and tops are just set. Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on baking sheet.
 
 
 

No comments: