Our latest feast

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Pumpkin Soup

Alright so I have to be honest and say that I haven't been in hiding this last two weeks but instead I have just had SO much on my plate (it's actually not funny) and not all of it was necessarily food!!
.
As quite a few of you know our little girl broke her wrist almost two weeks ago, we have also had two birthdays come and go and I think, cross fingers that after a doctor's appointment today we may just start to get back to normal (but what is normality?) with the exception of the arm which is still going to take a few weeks.

.Thankfully part of the process of getting back to normal is that we are getting back into cooking some nice foods and with the weather turning just a little cooler in Melbourne I thought I would make a huge pot of Pumpkin Soup especially as I have had a huge full pumpkin sitting in the kitchen pleading with me to cook something with it.

Pumpkin soup is definitely a favourite at our place whether it's eaten for a snack or lunch and even dinner but especially as my version isn't thick and creamy. Not that it is a bad thing to be thick and creamy but not so good on the waistline! This recipe, which I cannot fully take credit for, as it's a hand down from my mam but as usual I have modified, does however allow the individual to jazz their serving up as they wish by adding a swirl of cream or as my children do, without fail, add a handful of grated tasty cheese!

Served with a delicious fresh crusty roll this is definately homecooking at it's best!
..3
Pumpkin Soup
3
Serves: 16
ProPoints per serve: 0
Old Points per serve: 0
3
4kgs Kent or Jap pumpkin, peeled, seeds removed and diced
2 onions, diced
16 cups water
2 tablespoons chicken stock powder
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
2 teaspoons crushed ginger
pinch ground nutmeg
3
In a very large saucepan place pumpkin, onions, water, stock powder, garlic and ginger and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until pumpkin is very tender. Allow to cool.
3
Blend with a stick blender or food processor until smooth. If using a food processor you will have to do this in batches. Add nutmeg to taste.
3
Return to medium heat and warm through - do not boil. Season with salt and pepper and serve by itself or with your favourite condiment ie a swirl of cream, some grated tasty cheese or even some fresh chives, etc.

7 comments:

Sara said...

This looks great, I wonder if it would work with canned pumpkin? I still have canned pumpkin left over from the holidays!

teresa said...

Oooh, this looks fantastic, I've never made pumpkin soup before!

Jo said...

Sara,

We don't have canned pumpkin here in Australia - so I am not sure how this would go.. my only advice is give it a go!! LOL!!

Lara said...

No canned pumpkin?! Sad! It sure does look tasty though.

Jo said...

Not that I have seen any or gone looking for canned pumpkin but I am sure it's not stocked here.

I suppose we don't have the canned pumpkin as fresh pumpkin is so readily available and so many varieties....

Donna-FFW said...

I have never had pumpkin soup before, I will have to try this version. It looks and sounds terrific.

Gee Gee Foods said...

If you are looking to buy a ginger pulverizers or turmeric pulverizers machine, contact GeeGee Foods Pvt Ltd!