Our latest feast

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Caribbean Lamb and Sweet Potato Curry

Tonight was a night of menu swapping. Although I had planned this on the menu planner I had changed my mind opting for a Chilli, Ginger and Teriyaki Beef Stir Fry until Noel rang to say he was working overtime - until 9pm!

This gave me time up my sleeve to actually go back to the menu planner, make the curry and I am really glad I did.

It has an amazing flavour although not overly fiery, which I was a little disappointed at but then again I know that the kids would eat it and enjoy also. I loved the softness of the sweet potato and the hint of lime amongst the spices. Both Noel and I enjoyed not only the taste but the difference from normally curries with their thick runny sauces, this curry was more of a drier style curry - the type that you can put in a piece of roti bread, roll up and eat.


Caribbean Lamb and Sweet Potato Curry
(recipe adapted from Ainsley's Friends and Family Cookbook)

Serves: 6
Points per serve: 5


cooking spray
800 grams lean diced lamb
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground tumeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon mild curry powder
1 tablespoon garam marsala
1 x 400 gram tin chopped tomatoes
juice of 1 lime
600 ml chicken stock
500 grams sweet potato, peeled and small dice
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh coriander leaves for garnish

Spray a large frying pan with cooking spray, add half of the lamb and over a medium to high heat cook, turning, until nicely browned all over. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining lamb.

To the same pan add the onion and cook until a rick golden brown. Return the meat and juices to the pan. Add the garlic, spices, tomatoes and lime juice. Cook gently, covered, for 5 minutes.

Add the stock, bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Uncover the curry, add salt and the sweet potatoes. Cook uncovered for a further 15 to 20 minutes until sweet potatoes are tended and the sauce has reduced and thickened. Serve garnished with coriander.

(click here for a printable version of this recipe)

2 comments:

DailyChef said...

I rarely cook with lamb but I know it is great in curry. Your recipe looks amazing!

Delia Downing said...

I made this tonight with left over leg of lamb roast. It was so good. We served over brown basmati rice with homemade palak paneer. This recipe is a definite keeper. Thanks.