Our latest feast

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Springtime Lamb Casserole

I cannot take credit for being the first in my family to cook this as it's actually a recipe that my mam used to make when I was younger. I do however take credit for borrowing the cookbook containing the recipe and for some reason never giving it back!! As a child that has had a long battle with my weight my mam was very supportive when it came to helping me to lose weight. She purchased the Australia Women's Weekly Best Ever Slimmers Recipes Cookbook, along with others, in a bid to help me on my journey and I must say it's one of those cookbooks that we have actually cooked many meals from.

This casserole is very simple to make but has a full bodied flavour. It makes a wonderful mid week dinner no matter what season it is.


Springtime Lamb Casserole
(Recipe adapted from Australia Women's Weekly Best Ever Slimmers Recipes Cookbook)

Serves: 6
Points per serve: 6

900 grams lean lamb, cut into large dice
1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
900 grams potatoes, peeled and quartered
4 large carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
1 large red capsicum, large dice
1 large green capsicum, large dice
1 x 35g packet Spring Vegetable Soup (I used Continental)
1 cup dry white wine
3 cups water
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
pinch salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons cornflour
1/4 cup water, extra
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

Place diced lamb and paprika in a bag, seal and shake until all meat is coated in the paprika.

In a large casserole dish place lamb, potatoes, carrots and capsicum.

Combine dry soup with wine, water, garlic and parsley. Pour over lamb and vegetables.

Cover and cook for about 1 hour or until lamb and vegetables are tender.

Blend cornflour with extra water, add to lamb mixture ensuring well mixed through. Return to the oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens.


(click here for a printable version of this recipe)

No comments: