Our latest feast

Monday, September 13, 2010

Thai Mussels

Firstly I need to apologize for a huge gap in our food blog. I spent the whole of last week in Brisbane on a training session, which was busy and I didn't cook a thing for the whole week. The weekend just gone wasn't any quieter I must say also. We had our football club Annual General Meeting and Presentation. The last week has been a whirlwind of food not to mention alcohol. I have to say that we both fancied something easy and tasty.

Saying this I did have a kilogram of fresh mussels which I brought on a whim on Saturday so we turned our focus on them. Noel and I have only ever cooked mussels once before and then I overdid the chilli so it was decided it was Noel's turn to attempt to create a meal for us and that he did.

Flavoured with lime, chilli, garlic and ginger in a fantastic light sauce these mussels were brilliant and made a great dinner for the two of us. Saying that you could easily serve this to four or 6 as an entree.



Thai Mussels

Serves: 2
Points per serve: 3

1 kilogram fresh mussels in shells
juice of 1 1/2 limes
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons crushed garlic
2 teapsoons crushed ginger
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 spring onions, finely sliced
1/2 bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
3 red bullet chillies, deseeded and chopped
coriander leaves for garnish

Clean and scrub mussels, disgarding any broken or open ones that do not close when tapped on the bench.

In a large jug mix together lime juice, lemon juice, fish sauce, white wine, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and salt. Mix well ensuring sugar is dissolved.

Heat oil in a large wok or frying pan that has a lid. Carefully pour in sauce mixture, add spring onions, coriander and chillies. Mix well and bring to a boil.

Add mussels to the wok and toss until coated. Reduce heat to medium, cover with a lid and allow to steam for approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat and toss through the sauce.

Place in a large serving bowl, garnish with coriander and serve immediately.

3 comments:

LellyJ said...

Yum Yum!! Mussells are my favourite seafood to cook at home as they are so cheap and easy. I cook them often. Dare I say that my husband and I eat a kg EACH!!

I steam them in white wine or cook them with a thai green curry sauce. This recipe sounds great--will give it a burl sometime soon.

James said...

Wow, these mussels look amazing!!! The mix of sauces/spices/ingredients seems absolutely perfect. Must try this!

Monique said...

Yum, they look fantastic! I normally only have mussels in an Italian tomato sauce (you can see them in my blog at cooksploits.com) but I will have to give these a go soon! Thanks for putting together such a healthy interesting blog. I love checking out your recipes!